Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pablo262

Data format error on refreshing data from Excel

I have a table of Sales, that contains column of Invoice number. The data contains numeric and alpha numeric invoice numbers

(2245568, M-25874, 225984-V, etc...)

Have been able to import the Excel and refresh  with no problems.

Yesterday began receiving an error "DataFormat.error We couldn't convert to Number..."

Seems that it changed or thinks the Invoice Number column is a numeric column.

I went into the edit query , and saw that the column type was changed to  123(numeric), and changed back to ABC text.

Still getting the  "DataFormat.error We couldn't convert to Number..."

I upgraded to the September release in between allof this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
kymatt89

I am also having this issue. I have an org code column with an overwhelming majority of numeric only data. A tiny subset has Alphanumeric. On refresh, it keeps changing the data type to numeric, even after manually changing to text. Even if I go to the supporting excel spreadsheet and force the data into text at that level, the import still converts the data to a number. I even tried sorting the dataset to force the cells with alphanumerics to the top (hoping when power bi went to preview, it would adhere to the sort order and recognize the datatype)....no luck.

kymatt89

I am also having this issue. I have an org code column with an overwhelming majority of numeric only data. A tiny subset has Alphanumeric. On refresh, it keeps changing the data type to numeric, even after manually changing to text. Even if I go to the supporting excel spreadsheet and force the data into text at that level, the import still converts the data to a number. I even tried sorting the dataset to force the cells with alphanumerics to the top (hoping when power bi went to preview, it would adhere to the sort order and recognize the datatype)....no luck.

JorgeESAN
Regular Visitor

did you manage to solve it? besides deleting the offending column (not an option for me).?

JorgeESAN
Regular Visitor

Did you solve it? I have exactly the same issue using Power query in Excel.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pablo262,

Since I can’t reproduce your issue, can you share me a test sample to reproduce it? Or provide some detail information about this issue.(e.g. power query formula, screenshots, records)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.