Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dphillips
Helper IV
Helper IV

Data disappears after refresh in PowerBI Service

Hope someone can help. I have a few reports created in PowerBI Desktop. They all work fine. The data connection is an import connection from our SQL database. When I publish these reports to PowerBI Service everything is fine. Data and visuals all fine. We use an onpremises data gateway and all appears okay.  Then, in PowerBI service, if I go to Datasets and refresh the data, the data from some SQL views disappears. You briefly see the data but then the visual becomes blank. The only way to get the data back again is to re publish the report from the desktop. In PowerBI Service I have also scheduled refreshes overnight but they fail for some reason. Clearly there is a problem with my data source but I cannot find it at all. No error messages are shown in the desktop or in the service. I receive an email when the refresh fails but it has no detail about the problem, just - "Oops - something went wrong". I have read other things on this topic - I do not use any booleans in filters which may cause a problem between the desktop and the service.

I am tearing my hair out trying to find a solution. Any ideas on where I can look for any problems with my data when I refresh in the service?

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dphillips,

If it's possible that the data source (the SQL database) has no data. Therefore, the refresh will clear the old data. And the result will be empty. Because, the refresh in Power BI is full refresh rather than incremental refresh. Please check out the status of the data source.

Best Regards,

Dale 

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Data source looks okay. In the desktop, I can refresh and all the information is there. It is only when I refresh in the web app that all the data disappears for one particular table only. One of the tables is okay but two others lose their data. why would it effect only some tables and not others?

I know this is an old thread but did you manage to resolve this?

Hello, I am facing the same issue now. Were you able to resolve this issue? Any help would be great.

We attempted to troubleshoot this by copying the queries that were disappearing to another PBIX file and then pubished it to the Service, the queries worked in this test dataset for the impacted user.

We then got the impacted user to take over the Prod dataset and re-enter their credentials on all data sources, this resolved the issue for us - so I'm assuming its an authentication issue of some kind but why it doesn't throw an error is beyond me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.