Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DolEgon22
Advocate II
Advocate II

Data colors do not save

I'm working with a line chart that I have assigned specific data colors to one of the categories. I save the PBIX close and reopen and the colors change! 

Before:

BEFORE.png

After:

AFTER.png

Is this a bug or a "feature"? Has anyone else run into this?

Also, this behavior also occurs after publishing to PowerBI.com--the published report has different data colors than the PBIX. 

7 REPLIES 7
BrettShaver
Frequent Visitor

I am seeing the same annoying behavior - and 3 years later!  Definitely need to have manual color override whatever PBI determines is the color. 

Has this really not been resolved since this post in 2017?

Same annoying behaviour here (Dec 2020).

A theme change to alter font colour on 'applied filter' allows the change but, on reopening, the change reverts back.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@DolEgon22,

The latest version: 2.52.4921.682 seems to work well.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Further testing reveals that this still happens with version 2.52.4921.682.

Another odd behavior that's associated:

• Edit line chart data colors
  • Save and close
  • Open PBIX
  • See that data colors have changed
  • Change to a different report tab and back again, and the colors change again

Also, the colors don't seem to change if I use a color from the pallette. If I add a custom color, that seems to cause the colors to change when reopening. 

@DolEgon22,

I can not reproduce the issue. Share the .pbix file if convenient.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Saw this in another thread:

Colors are selected via the following heuristics

Static measure series will grab colors from the theme starting as position zero. There is no cross-visual sharing of colors for static series.
Dynamic series will use a first-come first-served shared color palette for category. So a specific category will always be the same color (e.g. red) on all visuals. However, depending on load timing, it may be green on all visuals the next time you (or someone else) view it.

Now this makes sense, although I would fully expect that if I manually change a color, that it would take precedence over any "heuristics". 

pxg08680
Resolver III
Resolver III

@DolEgon22

I haven't noticed this all these days since the Nov update. Even I see this happening to my Line charts.

For me it's not a big issue, but would like find out why is this happening.

Regards,

pxg08680

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.