Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data categorization and labeling based on date range

Hi - I have two tables Sales and Warranty as below. I want to add a calculated column to the sales table that looksup the Warranty table, matches the Product and if the ship date is between the Ship Start and Ship End from warranty table, adds the text thats in the Warranty column of the Warranty table. 

so something like =>  if(Sales Table[Product]=Warranty Table[Product] && Sales Table[ShipDate]>= Warranty Table[Ship Start] && ales Table[ShipDate]<= Warranty Table[Ship End], Warranty, blank())

How do I do this? I should be able to do this but I cant access another table when I am in the Sales Table.I do have ProductDim Table and ShipDateDim Tables that create a relationship between these tables. Ultimately What I want to do is, for the selected product, show a histogram of Sales qty over a period of time and just highlight the time periods that have Warranty issues.  I think if I am able to create the columns with category then I can use it as a legend in the chart. 

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks. 

Dynamic Categorization.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Add following measure in your sales table:

Warranty = 
calculate(firstnonblank(Warranty[Warranty],1),
filter(Warranty,
Warranty[Product] =MAX( Sales[Product] ) &&
MAX(Sales[Date]) >= Warranty[Start Date] &&
MAX(Sales[Date]) <= Warranty[End Date]
)
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

You can also use following DAX foumula to create a column.

Column = 
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( Warranty[Warranty] ),
    FILTER (
        Warranty,
        Sales[ShipDate] >= Warranty[Ship Start]
            && Sales[ShipDate] <= Warranty[Ship End]
            && Sales[Product] = Warranty[Product]
    )
)

Data categorization and labeling based on date range_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

You can also use following DAX foumula to create a column.

Column = 
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( Warranty[Warranty] ),
    FILTER (
        Warranty,
        Sales[ShipDate] >= Warranty[Ship Start]
            && Sales[ShipDate] <= Warranty[Ship End]
            && Sales[Product] = Warranty[Product]
    )
)

Data categorization and labeling based on date range_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

parry2k
Super User
Super User

what happens if a product have record with ship start/end date in existing date range of the same product, or it will never happen

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question. I was going to create a second column to deal with that. It will be rare but still a possibility. 

Add following measure in your sales table:

Warranty = 
calculate(firstnonblank(Warranty[Warranty],1),
filter(Warranty,
Warranty[Product] =MAX( Sales[Product] ) &&
MAX(Sales[Date]) >= Warranty[Start Date] &&
MAX(Sales[Date]) <= Warranty[End Date]
)
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.