Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tzhu

Data blending using multiple data sources

Hi there,

Although Power BI can do the data blending using multiple data sources, but it need to import them first before the relationship being defined between different data source. This is not practical as some of the data source table can have tens of GB data in size.

For example, I have an excel spreadsheet contain total 100 customers and I need to join them to our data warehouse customer sales revenue table which is in a 20 GB table containing 2 million cusotmer information.  Without define the relationship first, I have to import all 2 million customer information into my Power BI desktop before I can join them to the mere 100 customers.

Is there a better way Power BI can handle this? It could be me (new to Power BI) that don't know how to use it.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Yes, you can only import the filtered data because PowerBI does query-folding. So if you join your 2 tables on JoinKind.Inner, this will effectively act as a filter. But watch out: There might still be bugs in it, so you might need a workaround: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/09/17/filter-sql-server-queries-with-excel-tables-query-folding-l...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.