Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data View Unavailable

I am very new to Power BI and trying to learn as I go.  I created a Project Online dataset via Power BI web, and then learned about Power BI Desktop which would give me greater functionality and created a new dataset via Desktop.  I found that the one created via the web automatically created certain measures which I would like to duplicate in my Desktop environment.  However, when I load the original dataset (created in Web) in the Desktop, I see only the Reports View, no Data or Relationship Views.  Therefore, I am unable to see the details of the measure.

Power BI Screenshot.JPG

Does anyone know the solution?  I thank you in advance for any suggestions!  

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

When you use live mode, all underlying data and relationship will be loaded, but you can't make any modeling/relationship change.(after recently release, you can use measure in live mode with AS tabular)

For your requirement, you can only achieve them in import mode.

Reference link:

Power BI – Live connection vs. Import, comparison and limitations

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-shex-msft,

Thank you so much for the information and article link!  I have read and re-read both, but am still not sure how to proceed.  Ultimately, I am trying to recreate a measure which was created by the Power BI online service with my data.  However, have not found a way to view the construct of the measure.  I believe I would have to open the file in Power BI Desktop in order to view the construct.... is this suggesting I need to open that file in a different way?  What I have been doing in Desktop is Get Data from Power BI Service.  When I go to File > Import, I do not see an option which seems like it would open this existing file from the service.  I am obviously missing something here, I just do not know what.

-Stacey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking into this further, I found this article:  http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Can-I-download-a-PBIX-version-of-a-report-or-dashboard-built... It does not look like there is a way for me to view the measure details in Desktop for a report created in the Power BI Service.  Thanks for your help, any way!

-Stacey

i had the same problem. you can find your answer in another way this link http://www.projanco.com/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.