Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Types missing in Report view

I'm having a weird issue with data types. All data types are missing in my report and data view, but they are showing up in the model view. The result is that I can't use aggregates in all of my reports. 

It used to work; I have visualizations with aggregates that still display fine. But when I recreate the same visual in the same report (or even add the same field to the existing visual), the data can only be shown as not aggregated.

In the model view, the fields are of the correct type (Decimal number, for example).

I figured it might have something to do with a relationship somewhere, so I deleted all relationships for the table in the example, but that didn't fix the problem. 

I'm at a loss. Am I missing something obvious? 

If I create a new Data set from scratch with the same data, it works just fine (I import data from an SQL database). But that's A LOT of work of recreating measures and stuff to fix this seemingly simple issue.

Hope someone can help. 

For extra context, some screenshots of what I'm seeing 

An example of one of the fields in model view (The 'aantal' field):

Wilc0_0-1632402341813.png

In Data view:

Wilc0_1-1632402391996.png

And in the Report view:

Wilc0_2-1632402434781.png

These are the options when I add the field to a table:

Wilc0_3-1632402597728.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you are using Calculation Groups, the aggregations are disabled by default. Check the following thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Tabular-Editor-Calculation-groups/m-p/1283596#M561212 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you are using Calculation Groups, the aggregations are disabled by default. Check the following thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Tabular-Editor-Calculation-groups/m-p/1283596#M561212 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my God, that's it @PaulDBrown

I was totally unaware of this implication when I started using calculated groups some time ago. I didn't do my research apparently. Never made the connection, hence the reason I couldn't find anything in this community or anywhere else online. I wasn't using the right keywords! 

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'm making explicit measures for simple aggregations in the future. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Not sure what I am missing here - this field is a column with implicit aggregation, not a measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you're missing anything. That's exactly right. I used to be able to aggregate/summarize those columns. But not anymore. I just learned from @PaulDBrown that this is because of the calculation groups I use. 

But I have the feeling your reply implies something I overlooked on my end. Although I understand the reason for my issue now, I'd still love to learn more about stuff I might have overlooked. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.