Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kureigu
Frequent Visitor

Data Table Timeline Visual

Howdy,

I need to create a visual table in a specific format, that is essentially a timeline of each month throughout a financial year. I can get the data in many formats already, and already have a dataset with all the RAW data i need... However, going down the list I need different data categories rather than different entities or types - and I've no idea how to do this.

For example, I can get this quite easily:

Month

Head Office

Site 1

Site 2

Site 3

But what I actually need is this...

Month

Staff

FTE

Leavers

Starters

And I can't work out how to have different measures per row at all...

I'm attempting to use the Table and Matrix visuals to do this, but have had no joy at all. The only thing I can think of is to create a new table in DAX, have each header at the start and then have each column formula with a huge nested IF to give a different formula/calculation depending on the header - which I'm hoping isn't the right way to go about this!

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data in usable format (not as a picture) and show the expected outcome if it is different from above.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Where did that FTE row come from?

So you need to know how to write the measures for the Leavers and the Starters?  Let's say Head Office goes from 8 to 7 because 3 people left and 2 people started.  Your data is insufficient to catch that, it would assume a single leaver.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, the first table isn't the data I have - it's the sort of layout I'm able to create using the Power BI 'Table' visual. But what I actually want to be able to create is the 2nd table, but I'm unable to work out how to have a different measure per row rather than per column (or if it's even possible).

My data is currently structured as 1 person per line with various employment details alongside another table with leavers information. That being said, I'm specifically looking for a way in which I can get a measure per row in a table visual rather than on my data itself.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.