Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NateAerospace

Data Source Error - Connection from Excel

Good afternoon everyone,

I am exploring PowerBI as a way to export data from an Excel file in a network folder. I am using the data in a PowerBI visualization that I am exporting live into PowerPoint. Eventually we will utilize this PowerPoint file to display on screens around our machine shop. I have already setup the datasource and report in PowerBI and it seems to work. But when I try to look at the report the next day, the data doesn't get updated. Research reveals this connection error:

Data source errorScheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh

I have refreshed the connection multiple times and always get this error. The Excel file is located on a network folder. I removed all other old test data sources. The only one left is an ODATA connection using REST to an Epicor (ERP) dataset that I built another PowerBI visualization on. This visualization updates daily just fine. So I am not worried about this one. I can't figure out the simpler Excel as a data source.

When I am in PowerBI Website > My Workspace > Datasets, here I can see that there is a connection issue. So I clicked on Edit Credentails. I get a window that shows the correct network location and filename for the Excel file, the Authentication Method, and Privacy Level Setting For This Data Source. I have tried every combination I can think of in this box, but nothing works.

I haven't setup any gateways. Do I need gateways to access data from a network folder? 

I don't see any place to put in username and password, so I assume it is using my windows credentails. That should be sufficient to access data on the shared network folder. Is there a different way to assign permissions?

Not sure where else to look, the help files didn't have information about this error. Thank you for your time!

Nate

EDIT: For reference, we don't pay for any PowerBI subscription services. I am the only person here that is playing with PowerBI at this time. I am trying to determine if we really need one or more paid accounts, or if we can do this without a subscription.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.