Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Source Error, Cannot open query editor

Hi All,

I have been trying to open the query editor but unsucessful and I have the excel worksheet attached to the PowerBI workbook but do not have the excel file locally. There is a need to try out powerquery and unfortunately PowerBI doesn't allow me to open the query editor. Is there an alternate solution to open the editor without the local file.

I have tried several methods and none of it works.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Anonymous ,

Actually, in your scneario, if you don't have the original data source, you will have no access to use the PowerQuery.

Best Regards,

Teige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The powerbi workbook was sent from someone else, I can view the data but not edit queries. I do not have the file locally. 

Apologise, if the question sounds silly, I am a begineer.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I have been trying to open the query editor but unsucessful and I have the excel worksheet attached to the PowerBI workbook but do not have the excel file locally. There is a need to try out powerquery and unfortunately PowerBI doesn't allow me to open the query editor. Is there an alternate solution to open the editor without the local file.

I have tried several methods and none of it works.

Thank you in advance.

HI @Anonymous ,

Actually, in your scneario, if you don't have the original data source, you will have no access to use the PowerQuery.

Best Regards,

Teige

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

>>I have the excel worksheet attached to the PowerBI workbook but do not have the excel file locally

Could you please tell us how did you attach the Excel Worksheet to the PowerBI workbook? If what you mentioned is importing the data to PowerBI, when you open the PowerQuery, it will find the data source, if the data source cannot be found, it will return an error message.

Best Regards,

Teige

RobbeVL
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I dont think that will be the problem.

What error do you get? Normally you're always able to open PowerQuery even when you dont have that file. You just wont be able to refresh it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.