Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gewoodruff
Frequent Visitor

Data Slicer for Active Employees

Hello,

I have a list of employees, some active and some terminated. I have created a measure to show me which employees are active. 

What I would like to do now is be able to use a date slicer so you can see how many active employees there were at any period. However when i use the date slicer now I only get a count of employees whos start dates are in that period. 

My date table is currently based on the employee start date and I think this might be where the problem is coming in. I only have two dates relating to my employees which is start date and termination date. 

The below is my measure for active employees: 

var CurrentDay = TODAY()
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('All data'[EmployeeID]), FILTER('All data','All data'[EmploymentStartDate] <= CurrentDay && isblank ('All data'[TerminationDate])|| ('All data'[EmploymentStartDate] <= CurrentDay && 'All data'[TerminationDate] >= CurrentDay || ('All data'[EmploymentStartDate] <= CurrentDay && 'All data'[TerminationDate] >= CurrentDay && 'All data'[EmploymentStartDate]> 'All data'[TerminationDate]) + 0)))

Any ideas how i can make this work?

Thanks so much!
Georgia
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Gewoodruff 

Please check the below picture and the sample pbix file, whether it is what you are looking for.

I tried to create a sample pbix file based on the explanation.

I prefer to have inactive relationships like below if a fact table has more than two date-related columns.

Picture2.png

Active Employees Count =
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ( Employees ),
FILTER (
Employees,
Employees[Startdate] <= MAX ( Dates[Date] )
&& Employees[TerminationDate] >= MIN ( Dates[Date] )
)
)

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Gewoodruff 

Have Jihwan_Kim’s reply helped you to find the solution to this problem?

To deal with the blank value in the [termination dates] column, you can also try to use the “replace values” function in the Power quey to replace the blank with “9999-12-31” to make sure it won’t affect the value of the measure.

v-robertq-msft_0-1620897600234.png

https://eriksvensen.wordpress.com/2018/05/03/powerquery-replace-values-in-one-column-with-the-value-...

If you have solved this problem, would you like to mark Jihwan_Kim’s reply as a solution so that others can learn from it too?

Thanks in advance!

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Gewoodruff 

Please check the below picture and the sample pbix file, whether it is what you are looking for.

I tried to create a sample pbix file based on the explanation.

I prefer to have inactive relationships like below if a fact table has more than two date-related columns.

Picture2.png

Active Employees Count =
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ( Employees ),
FILTER (
Employees,
&& Employees[TerminationDate] >= MIN ( Dates[Date] )
)
)

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hi Jihwan,

Your example works well however I think it might not be working for because i have some blank termination dates. do you have any advice around this?

Thanks,

Georgia

Hi, @Gewoodruff 

Thank you for your feedback.

In case the termination date is blank, please check the below-amended measure.

Sometimes, I saw that some organizations do not leave it blank, but insert the far far away date, for instance, 2999-Dec-31.

Picture2.png

Active Employees Count =
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ( Employees ),
FILTER (
Employees,
&& OR (
Employees[TerminationDate] >= MIN ( Dates[Date] ),
ISBLANK ( Employees[TerminationDate] )
)
)
)

Go to My LinkedIn Page

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Gewoodruff , Try like

var CurrentDay = TODAY()
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('All data'[EmployeeID]), FILTER('All data','All data'[EmploymentStartDate] >= CurrentDay && ( isblank ('All data'[TerminationDate]) || 'All data'[TerminationDate] <= CurrentDay )))

Also check

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.