Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

benjamincoady
Helper I
Helper I

Data Relationship Help!

Hi, 

Apologies for my probably rather naive question, I am new to PowerBI but am already loving the desktop app! 

Anyway, I am building a resource management tool using a Structured Excel Spreadsheet (for each person), into an Access Databse and using "Get Data" have linked the database in PowerBI.

I am trying to understand the relationship manager but I'm having some difficulties. What would be the best way to report the data "as one" in the dashboard (see two seperate tables in image)? I can't physically merge the tables as I need to access the individual data in other reports but would like to report overall number of tasks and hours spent as one when I need to?

I would really appreciate the help 🙂 

Bendifferent people tables.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TCarrasquillo
Helper II
Helper II

The easiest way would just be to link the tables by the project name.   The only issue is if you have multiple lines with that same project name in each table. To get around, that you can create a "bridge" table. Just make a list of unique project names and then link both of the other tables to the "bridge". 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TCarrasquillo
Helper II
Helper II

The easiest way would just be to link the tables by the project name.   The only issue is if you have multiple lines with that same project name in each table. To get around, that you can create a "bridge" table. Just make a list of unique project names and then link both of the other tables to the "bridge". 

This worked great, thank you!! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@benjamincoady  : you can create a view if you have having database (MS Access ) and pull into powerbi and write your measures that is the simple way to achieve it .

Else in edit query window you will have the option of append queries can you trying merging your data into single and then perform the calcualtions else it will be difficult if you are having many files from all over persons . can you check these two options .

Really sorry, I'm struggling to understand your typed English.... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.