Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BjoernSchaefer
Helper II
Helper II

Data Refreshes very slow

Hello everybody and a happy new year,

i'm dealing with a very serious issue right now. Since the November '18 Update of PowerBI Desktop the Data refreshes take very long. Database is a IBM DB2 that contains a table with ca. 2.5 million rows. 

The preview in powerquery works fine but it depends on wich transformation steps are added to the query. As soon as i click "Close and apply" i can leave my workstation for the rest of the day and when i return it's still running. And no, it's not loading rows, it's evaluating. When it's loading rows it feels like i can count with it. The refresh won't finish in the PowerBI Service because of a time out. I updated both PowerBI Desktop and the Gateway to the December '18 Version but it was useless. And i tried to fix that issue by deactivating Auto DateTime in the Settings.

Ironically, when i use the exact same query in Excel 2016 the 2.5 million rows are loaded within 10 - 20 seconds. Wich i really don't understand.

The system runs at 95 - 100% CPU-Usage, PowerBi Desktop creates three Mashup Evaluation Containers. I even deactivated the virus scan for testing.

Has anybody got the same or at least a similar problem?

Regards,

Bjoern

17 REPLIES 17
rbrock
Frequent Visitor

Have you heard back yet? I am also noticing a slowdown recently of IBM DB2 connections that use the Microsoft Drivers . We are using import mode. The data refresh through Power BI Desktop takes significantly longer.

Also, in the last week, the scheduled refresh for the connection started timing out as well with the following error: "Before the data import finished, its data source timed out. Double-check whether that data source can process import queries, and if it can, try again." I may need to cut down on the amount of data coming in to the dataset. We also migrated our enterprise gateway to a new server last week as well so it could be related to that, but has anyone also had this issue with IBM DB2 sources? The gateway connection says it is online. I know this is a desktop thread but I thought I would ask in cas anyone here saw this as well. Thanks!

Was this issue every resolved?  We are having the same issue now.

Hi @Eric,

it isn't solved yet. My ticket is still open and the told me, that the Product Team is investigating that issue. ETA ist around end of April '19. We have to play the waiting game.

Regards

BjoernSchaefer 

I also had a ticket in with Microsoft. I was told the following today by Microsoft:

On our end the Product Group stated that the problem only occurs on the gateway as its leaking memory and the process never gets restarted.  This issue should be fixed with the next release of the Gateway. You will need to upgrade the gateway when the QFE release of the gateway comes out. The ETA is the End of March.

This doesn't occur in the gateway for us. Only in the Desktop App.

@GTech01  We had the issue both in desktop and with the gateway and I demonstrated that when I was working with the technician so I am going to reply with that response as well 😞

rbrock
Frequent Visitor

I was told today that the fix for the desktop tool should be out around mid April, so I am guessing that will be included in the April update of Power BI desktop. Fingers crossed that helps the issue. In the meantime, I was able to switch my report connections over to ODBC connections and those are working well for me. 

rbrock
Frequent Visitor

The April update for Power BI desktop came out this week. I installed it and now my DB2 datasets refreshed much more quickly like they did before the issue. 

GTech01
Frequent Visitor

We have the exact same problem with DB2, another ODBC which connect to an ecclectic SQL database named HFSQL. Our analyst tells me he have the exact same problem with the mashup but not the service.

Hey there,

thanks for the feedback. 

Question(s):

Are you using the native DB2-Connector in PowerBI? And wich Driver are you using? IBM or Microsoft? I'm using the Microsoft-Driver because i'm not able to get the IBM-Driver running. Wich always worked fine and really fast as well. 

I quess this issue began with the release of DirectQuery for IBM DB2. Please treat this statement with caution, i'm still doing research on this but wasn't able to find any information.

Regards

Bjoern 

We use native DB2 with Microsoft driver because we never found a way to make the IBM one working. The Microsoft one was very fast until december release.

I think i've got something:

Go to your DataSource Settings in PBI-Desktop and edit the Settings for the DB2. Change the Security Level from "None" to "Organizational" and restart PBI Desktop. 

My Queries are loading much faster now.

Let me know if it worked for you, too.

Regards

Björn

It doesn't work for us.

Hi @GTech01,

i'm still waiting for a response from the Engineer at Microsoft. Are you still dealing with this issue or do you found a solution?

Regrads

BjoernSchaefer

Same with me. It worked for one day and MS closed my ticket. I hope that the next update will fix this. Otherwise i really don't know what to do.

Same with me. I already opened a Support-Ticket. Now we play the waiting game. As soon as i get a reply from MS i will post it right here. Maybe it'll help you too.

Greetings from Germany to where ever you may roam.

Thanks From Canada BTW

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.