Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cottrera
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Data Modelling Help

Hi 

For the last 3 years of using power bi I have been modelling fact and dimensions  myself in PB desktop. Alway trying to aim for a star schema where possible or at least as close as possible (see example below)

cottrera_0-1673355083548.png
However were are moving to a  new management system and our data warehouse team have decided to model facts and dimensions in SQL . This means I now inport a sigle facts table with dimension columns that can be expanded. Example below shows these DIM columns with values

cottrera_1-1673355415403.png

Can you advise how best I can use this type of table or should I request the warehouse team provide single facts and and single dim tables for me to model myself.

I would be greatfull for eny advise or resources to learn more about this type of table.

regards

RIchard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

Ideally you would get the warehouse team to provide the separate fact and dimension tables as you suggest, but if that's not an option then you could use Power Query. You could reference the main query shown in your screenshot, once for each dimension table you want to create, delete the unneeded columns from each reference and then expand out the remaining column. That would seem like quite a bit of work for you though.

You definetely don't want all the facts and dimensions combined into one table. That would cause performance problems and also introduce problems with SUMMARIZECOLUMNS and autoexist.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cottrera
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Thank you for the prompt response john75 I am with you about asking the warehouse team to resort back to seperate fact / dim tables 

Richard😀

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Ideally you would get the warehouse team to provide the separate fact and dimension tables as you suggest, but if that's not an option then you could use Power Query. You could reference the main query shown in your screenshot, once for each dimension table you want to create, delete the unneeded columns from each reference and then expand out the remaining column. That would seem like quite a bit of work for you though.

You definetely don't want all the facts and dimensions combined into one table. That would cause performance problems and also introduce problems with SUMMARIZECOLUMNS and autoexist.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.