Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

williamvicary

Data Modeling with Timesheets (Data Ambiguity Relationship Issue)

I'm attempting to visualise our timesheets taking into account holiday time available, however I'm running into problems with needing to join the same tables together to populate all of the data, I'm sure I'm close but the visualisation element of this is currently baffling me.

I've got the following tables (there is much more but this is the crux of the issue):

- DateDim (Standard Date table with datekey as lookup plus workinghours (which is essentially, psuedo code, "if not weekend = 7.5")

- TimeSheets (datekey, hours, staffkey)

- Holidays (staffkey, datekey, hoursoff)

- Staff (staffkey, name)

I'm looking to produce a report such as:

- Staff:name, Timesheet:hours, Holidays:hoursoff, DateDim:workinghours

Which is sliceable by date and filterable by staff member (to provide deeper insight into hours worked in a chart etc). 

Am I missing something painfully obvious? I've got a background in SQL and I'd typically just do the multiple joins (which PowerBI complains about data abiguity) and then use that to generate the data. I tried duplicating the Staff table but this didn't really work out as expected.

Anything I should look at as reference? I'm very new to this, just learning the ease of reporting PowerBI offers - it's great but comes with a bit of a learning curve!!

Edit: Typo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
williamvicary

Managed to resolve this using an example from another thread. The issue was that some of my fact tables had other relationships, removing other joins and rebuilding my relationships resolved the issue and I was able to create the relationships based on my example.

For reference, "WorkingHours" needs to be a calculated metric in case anyone else is in need of this, otherwise you just get the number of working hours based on the filters applied, this filter would only apply to time not staff member and/or number of staff selected - you can multiply this up with something like as follows:

WorkingHours = (SUM(DateDim[isWorkingDay])*7.5)*COUNTA(Employees[Full Name])

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
williamvicary

Managed to resolve this using an example from another thread. The issue was that some of my fact tables had other relationships, removing other joins and rebuilding my relationships resolved the issue and I was able to create the relationships based on my example.

For reference, "WorkingHours" needs to be a calculated metric in case anyone else is in need of this, otherwise you just get the number of working hours based on the filters applied, this filter would only apply to time not staff member and/or number of staff selected - you can multiply this up with something like as follows:

WorkingHours = (SUM(DateDim[isWorkingDay])*7.5)*COUNTA(Employees[Full Name])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.