Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Modeling help

Hello

Please help me figure out how to create the data model for the compney im woring with:

Backround:

The company has clients/prospects, clients make one or several accounts with us and deposit $ and play in the stock (transactions).

Solve?:

Do I make a snowflake model with customers DIM ~filtering~> DepositorsDIM ~filtering~> accounts DIM ~filtering~> transactions FACT? im a im i'm a little lost so any help is much appreciated

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

that's always a little difficult to say without knowing the data. But in general the best model is always a star schema.

Do make sure your transaction fact table has a CustomerID, a DepositorsID and an AccountID. Then create the dimensional tables and connect them to the fact table.

But to be honest I don't understand what is the difference between a customer and a depositor and how many accounts there are and if they are connected to a customer or a depositor. 

So it really depends.

Maybe check the following articles to get a better understanding for data modeling:

Why and how to Keep Dimensions & Facts tables separate - DAX modeling (theexcelclub.com)

Doing Power BI the Right Way: 5. Data Modeling Essentials & Best Practices (1 of 2) | Paul Turley's SQL Server BI Blog

Or the video series from GuyInACube:

Data modeling best practices - Part 1 - in Power BI and Analysis Services - YouTube

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try to combine Customer DIM -> DepositorsDIM -> accounts DIM and then join with transactions FACT

You should prefer star schema

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-importance-of-star-schemas-in-power-bi/

But ideally your model should work

Anonymous
Not applicable

wouldnt that give me one big flat DIM table? (i know that's somthing to avoid)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.