Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Modeling and architecture

Hello!

I have been building quite a lot in Power BI now, but the report is starting to become too big (with too many fact tables and bad schema design). I want to implement a new solution where not all the transformation, merging, appending happens inside Power BI, but would actually be done before coming in to Power BI. I think that would be better, since it's easier then to reuse the tables.

That is usually done with a data warehouse right? I have an Microsoft SQL up and running, but now it only works as a storage for files from other sources, saved in one place. I know there are tools like SSIS, Power B data flows and probably a lot more, but I couldn't find a good overview for it. 

In the long term I want to be able to do some machine learning/predictive analytics. Azure seems a bit too big for something that has almost only been handled only inside Power BI.

Please recommend further readings/other forums or recommendation on the topics to look up.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and while we are here:

- SSIS or SSDT seems like a good beginning, but I was concerned with how little I found on the topic. Is it outdated, too complex or does Power BI handle that better?

- Also, any help regarding best pracises regarding multiple fact tables (I know it's possible with star schema), but more on how to handle something like a "management report" that wants to see everything (sales, purchasing, inventory levels, production productivity etc...). Now I've used ONE big report, but it's slow. Is it better to build many smaller reports and a dashboard instead?

Please help a lost fellow 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Although that does not answer any of the questions regarding the Pre-PowerBI and data warehousing.

But the "Do and Don’t with relationship" -video is some of the best I've seen and answers a lot of things I've been exploring lately. Thanks alot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.