Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

al1mon
Frequent Visitor

Data Modeling Question

Hello, I need advice with a data modeling problem. Below you may find 3 screenshots and attached PBIX file.

Link to Download PBIX file

Screenshots below show:

1. What my report looks like
  2. The problem I am experiencing
  3. My current data model

This data model contains several linking tables for many-to-many relationship between Recommendations table and different geography levels tables (State, County, City). I know that some relationships need to be changed in order to fix this problem but I'm not sure which ones.

Screenshot 1 - What my report looks like:
data_model_question_1.jpg

p

Screenshot 2 - The problem I am experiencing:

data_model_question_2.jpg

p

Screenshot 3 - My current data model:

data_model_question_4.jpg

p

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
al1mon
Frequent Visitor

I was able to figure out this problem on my own. In order to take care of hierarchy between geographical dimension tables (State/County/City) all I had to do was to create Location table with nullable Foreign Keys. See below screenshot.

data_model_question_6.jpg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
al1mon
Frequent Visitor

I was able to figure out this problem on my own. In order to take care of hierarchy between geographical dimension tables (State/County/City) all I had to do was to create Location table with nullable Foreign Keys. See below screenshot.

data_model_question_6.jpg

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@al1mon , I removed some bi-directional relations. But this model needs changes. recommandation will merge with State_rec , country_rec and City_rec and create three fact recommandation_State_rec  , recommandation_country_rec

City_rec_recommandatio. They will not join with each other 

Screenshot 2020-11-06 11.14.49.png

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-importance-of-star-schemas-in-power-bi/

Thanks for looking into this. 

I have tried your proposed solution but it breaks cross filtering across other visuals. See below screenshot.

Can you please elaborate on how you propose to change the data model. I am afraid I don't fully understand your previous explanation. I need to keep cross-filter both directions for State > County > City relationships.

Also I assumed state_recscounty_recs and city_recs are already considered fact tables since they contain foreign keys from recommendations and states/counties/cities respectively.

data_model_question_5.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.