Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Martyes1
Regular Visitor

Data Modeling Help - ShowAsVariationOnly Error

Hello Everyone,

When I attempt to apply query changes to my data model I get this error: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Table 'LocalDateTable_e63b5d89-53a-48e5-839e47964572od92' with ShowAsVariationOnly property set to '1' must be a target of a variation notation is enabled. '.

Has anyone came across this and know how to fix it? Also, do you know where in the Power BI edit screen I can find the name :

'LocalDateTable_e63b5d89-53a-48e5-839e47964572od92' ?

Thanks,

Marty

12 REPLIES 12
c_cook28954
Advocate I
Advocate I

If you're trying to adjust the name of a table, but that table is referenced in a union, you'll get this error as well. 

The fix is to:

1. Remove the table from the union reference 

2. Adjust the name of the table referenced in the union

3. Re-reference the table in the union once more

Solved my issue.

The fix is to:

1.Enter "Power Query" cancel active for all table

2.Start one table at a time

3.all table  "Close&Apply" 

Solved my issue

Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The error message you are receiving suggests that a table with the name 'LocalDateTable_e63b5d89-53a-48e5-839e47964572od92' has its ShowAsVariationOnly property set to '1', but it is not a target of a variation notation.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Open the Power BI Desktop file that contains the data model.

2. Go to the "Transform Data" screen and find the table with the name 'LocalDateTable_e63b5d89-53a-48e5-839e47964572od92'.

3. Check if the table is marked as a target of a variation notation. If not, you can remove the 'ShowAsVariationOnly' property from the table.

4. Save the changes and try to apply the query again.

Regarding your question about where to find the table name, you can locate it by going to the "Queries" pane and selecting the table. The name should be displayed in the "Properties" pane on the right-hand side of the screen.

5danig
Regular Visitor

Unchecking automatic date and time in configuration options, solved the issue for me

This just worked for me as well - thank you

akshimet

Remove the relationship of exisitng table with others and then try to reconnect the table with new data connection. It worked for me.

CarlosMagno123

The problem for me occurred when I changed the credentials of the data source. To solve, I redid the connection in the Power Bi file.

Nantwin

TLDR: make sure your data types are correct. Any summarize functions need to be given the correct column names to work (especially with date type columns).

I just solved this error for my dataset. As with you, the "Auto Date/Time" trick did not work. What did work is to make sure the data types and input variables for any data tables work / are correct.

In my model, I used the SUMMARIZE function to create a new table with several appended Excel files as inputs (the data is shipping/logistics data). The function gave me an error in the column I used for (shipping) dates. Once I had made sure that the data types were correct (I had made some changes to the query unrelated to the date column), and that all the input column names were correct, the error disappeared.

juliovidigal
Advocate I
Advocate I

I started having this problem when I renamed a query there on M, I went back to the name I was in and returned to refresh normally.

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Martyes1,

Which modification did you make in your data model? Please try the steps below and check if this issue persists or not.

1. Make a backup of your Power BI file
  2. Navigate to Options -> Data Load -> Untick "Auto Date/Time".
  3. Refresh all data
  4. Navigate to Options -> Data Load -> tick "Auto Date/Time".
  5. Refresh all data

Regards,

Charlie Liao

What do you suggest as a solution for me. I followed these directions, but after Step 4. I received the same error message as before. I am not able to hit "OK" after I Navigate to Options -> Data Load -> tick "Auto Date/Time".

Is there a better solve for this that isn't so janky?

Thank you

Did turning off auto/date/time work? Or is there a better solution? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors