Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Model

Hello Everyone,

I am working on my first Power BI project and need some help. I am converting a reporting from Tableau to Power BI. In on the datasources in tableau a custom sql is used and in other datasources tables from data warehouse was used. Can i model the data in powerbi between tables and custom sql(direct query)or i would need to use the tables that make up the query.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

just add a new source as you did in tableau, do the same in power bi.  yes its completely possible  I really recommend you go through the basic power bi videos as the question you are asking is a fundamental.  it is good to go through some material to get yourself up to speed, as i did already answer the question so i am not sure what you are asking.  You can add as many sources as you need from  multple sources either the whole table or a statement issued against it.  Just get data -> add source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K690u_FkL4A

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

this is where you put the custom statement

vanessafvg_0-1655408964603.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. My question is that in the tableau report, one datasource came from a sql statement. and other datasources were direct tables. How can I buid a model out of direct tables and sql statements in power bi? I hope that is clear please.

just add a new source as you did in tableau, do the same in power bi.  yes its completely possible  I really recommend you go through the basic power bi videos as the question you are asking is a fundamental.  it is good to go through some material to get yourself up to speed, as i did already answer the question so i am not sure what you are asking.  You can add as many sources as you need from  multple sources either the whole table or a statement issued against it.  Just get data -> add source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K690u_FkL4A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help. 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Imported models tend to be more performant  Not quite sure what you asking, your model can consist of sql tables or a sql statement issued against a database, just click in the advance section of the dialog box when you select your sql server / database.    You can do this in imported or direct query mode.  But imported would be my preference unless you have a lot of data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.