Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Model with comma separated list

Hey all, I'm currently struggling to create a nice data model out of a single table that contains about 6 columns that contain comma separated lists. A small example:

Recipe IDIngredientsCountry
1eggs,milk,flourNetherlands, United Kingdom
2eggs,aubergine,parmezanItaly, Spain, France
3parmezan,basil,tomatoItaly, Croatia, Austria

So I want to create a nice data model out of something like this (actual table has 20+ columns, with 6+ containing comma separated lists).

So I felt my central table (is it technically a Fct table?) should contain the recipe ID. The problem is with the dimensions. Let's say I want to be able to filter for all recipes containing eggs, and all recipes with country:italy. This means I should have dimensions for County and Ingredients. Those dimensions need to be related to the fctRecipe, but... how? My solution so far is to create a relation between the comma separated column and the comma separated column in the "countries" and "ingredients" dimension, like so:

Jaap_Olsthoorn_0-1602586149015.png

Where the "countries" column contains values like "italy,croatia,austria" and the country column contains "italy", "croatia" etc. Is this the best way of doing it, or am I overlooking an option?

My first instinct would be to just split the comma separated lists into rows, but that doesnt work very well when you have multiple comma separated lists in your table. You would end up with a cathesian product of all combinations of countries and ingredients in this case 😞 

Thanks for thinking along!
Jaap

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Whether the problem has been resolved? If yes, could you please mark the helpful post as Answered? It will help other members in the community find the solution easily if they face the similar problem with you. Thank you.
Best Regards
Rena
Community Support Team _ Rena Ruan
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Split the Column to Rows with Comma Delimeter and Replace Values " (Double quotes) with "" (null) then your problem would be sorted out!

Please share your Kudoes

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Not very clear. but you can split the the column using https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm sorry, guess I didnt explain it well enough. I know how to split columns as rows and as columns, what I want to know is how to fit the column, that I have split into rows, into a data model.

Jaap

Hi @Anonymous ,

What kind of model to create and how to create it is more appropriate depends on what function you ultimately want to achieve. Please provide your desired result and the calculation logic if it is involved.

In addition, I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you. Please check whether that is what you want.

Data Model with comma separated list.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.