Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DavidPorTodos
Helper I
Helper I

Data Model - filter through column with list of Quarters and normal quarters column

Hi Community,

I have a complex data model  with several Dimensions and Fact tables.

In my example i'll talk about 2 Fact tables, one has start date and end date, the other one just a quarter and years.

The Client would love to filter through both tables sometimes by year, sometimes by quarter and see how the measures changes over time.

I have created in the Table 1 with start date and end date a column that groups the list of quarter between the start date and the end date, then related this column to a bridge table with just unique values inside this column (Table "BridgeYearQuarter")

BridgeYearQuarter is then related to another bridge ("MidYearQuarterList") including the Quarters and all combination from the "BridgeYearQuarter" (pict2). I had to set the relationship as BOTH.

Finally this second bridge is related to my "DimYearQuarter" with all unique Quarters that will be offered as a filter to the customer.

Pict1 - Data model

DavidPorTodos_0-1679068215025.png

Pict2 - "BridgeYearQuarter"

DavidPorTodos_1-1679068583571.png

Now my measures are working just partially, I believe due to the Both relationships set, and show me the right results when the calculation is done year by year and wrong results when it should work on the total.

My KPIs are acting the same and if I cretae Measureslike AVG or Median of the values through several years then just the last year is taken into consideration.

DavidPorTodos_3-1679069539384.png

Help please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DavidPorTodos,

It seems like a common date range analysis requirement, perhaps you can take a look at Greg’s blog 'start date', 'end date' part if helps:

Before You Post, Read This 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DavidPorTodos,

It seems like a common date range analysis requirement, perhaps you can take a look at Greg’s blog 'start date', 'end date' part if helps:

Before You Post, Read This 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
DavidPorTodos
Helper I
Helper I

I have tried this approach as well

Abstract Thesis 110: Power BI- Text Part slicer to filter/search text - YouTube

Unfortunately the error persists when creating simple measures.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.