Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Model Date Relationship (Many to 1)

Hello, I have created two tables: Rolling Calendar and Student Detail Table, where both share a many to one relationship on a date field. My Student Detail Table is a merge table created from two other tables: Student and Department.

Side note: I merged both of these tables as Merge New using Left Outer as the join operation. Also, a special thing to note, as to why create a rolling calendar when a date is found in the merge table, is the rolling calendar was something I was attempting for the first time and exploring customization options for quarters or grouping dates together.

Now, I noticed that when I made the connection between the Rolling Calendar to the Student Detail Table by date that the hierarchy would moved from the Student Detail Table to the Rolling Calendar (the date in the Student Detail Table would remain as a single date value). This created (Blank) throughout my visuals of my report and would map elements found in my datatable which I later determined had a date value (meaning the date value was not NULL or (Blank)). Removing the relationship in the data model, allowed the date default hierarchy on my merged table to appear again. Using this hierarchy produced no (Blank) groupings.

My question: What made the (Blank) value appear when the relationship between the Rolling Calendar and Student Detail Table connected? How can I better fix that issue in that relationship? Thank you anyone for any clarification and help. I appreciate it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

I assume in your Student Detail Table are date values that are not available in your Rolling Calendar.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @Anonymous 

I assume in your Student Detail Table are date values that are not available in your Rolling Calendar.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.