Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

magtuto
Helper I
Helper I

Data Manipulation - Scatter Plot

I am fairly a newbie in Power BI, I am just trying to figure out how I can create a scatter graph. I have seen the example on tutorials in YouTube via power BI and the tutorial in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-scatter/ but I have not been able to get anywhere.

The issue I am having with is the way the data is represented at the moment. I am taking it from a database. The header of each column are as follows, Company ID, Audit ID, Risk, Security, Operations, Manage Changes (as per below).

| Company ID | Audit ID | Risk | Security | Operations | Manage Changes |

| 1                   | 2            | 0      | 1           | 2                 | 5                           |

| 2                   | 4            | 4      | 3           | 2                 | 4                           |

| 3                   | 5            | 3      | 2           | 2                 | 2                           |

• Hence in the Company ID and Audit ID columns the data is unique and incremental.
  • From the Risk column to Manage Changes, the data is from 0-5 depending on the result of the audit.
  1. I want to create a visual (Scatter graph is what I think would best illustrate) that groups all the the findings (ie. 0,1,2,3,4,5) on the X Axis.
  2. Group by Risk, Security, Operations, Manage Changes in the Y axis.

In a way at the simplest form of the question, I want to create multiple line chart that has the gratings on the y axis and Risk, Security, Operations, Manage Changes on the X axis.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @magtuto,

According to your description, you want to drag multiple columns to the Scatter visual’s X and Y Axis, right?

Based on test, it is impossible to drag multiple columns to Scatter visual’s X and Y Axis, it only support one field in X axis and Y axis. You can drag “Risk, Security, Operations, Manage Changes” columns to Details filed and use drip down/up feature to view the detail graph.
 Capture3.PNG

If you want to view these values more clearly, you can use the Clustered column chart, it supports multiple column, screenshots:
 Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @magtuto,

According to your description, you want to drag multiple columns to the Scatter visual’s X and Y Axis, right?

Based on test, it is impossible to drag multiple columns to Scatter visual’s X and Y Axis, it only support one field in X axis and Y axis. You can drag “Risk, Security, Operations, Manage Changes” columns to Details filed and use drip down/up feature to view the detail graph.
 Capture3.PNG

If you want to view these values more clearly, you can use the Clustered column chart, it supports multiple column, screenshots:
 Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Xiaoxin_Sheng

Thanks for the reply.  

After much procrastination, so that I cant get the desired effect, I broke the data into sections so that I can get a quasi scatter graph.

I agree that because the data is represented in such a way, it was imposible to create the scatter graph I was after.

Hi @magtuto,

Is there anything about Scatter char you not clear? If you have, please feel free to post.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.