Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New2PowerBI
Helper III
Helper III

Data Limits on Fields

I'm using the Attribute Slicer and joined a few columns together to be able to search for information.  Appears to work great; however, when I hover over the information it appears the column value that I see is cut off.  It is all there in Query Editor view, but not when I am in the report and dashboard views.  Can I change that?  Also, how do I know if my Attribute Slicer is working?  Does it go off the text in the Query Editor or does it go off of the table view?  I'm afraid it will not pull up all results if it's only looking a certain number of characters.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@New2PowerBI,

I make a test using AttributeSllicer, long text will be cut off when you hover over the information.

In the sample PBIX file of AttributeSllicer, it notes that we’d better add a categorical filed that is not a long string into Items section of the slicer. This makes sense in terms of performance.

In addition, create a measure in your table to calculate the distinct count number of the field you drag into Items section of the slicer. 

CountNumber = DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[columnname])

Then create a Card visual using this measure. And drag the field and the measure into AttributeSllicer, then convert AttributeSllicer to table visual, check if the total value in the table visual matches that value in Card visual. If they match, AttributeSllicer pulls up all values of the field in your table.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks!  I followed the steps you noted and the card and table matched.  I thought it worked and test a handful of examples successfully against the end user screen/data. 

I don't think it's working for some of the longer ones, there has to be some form of limit out there.  I have one value that is 1840 characters with spaces, 45 lines, and it did not pull up on the listing of the Attribute Slicer when I entered text from the later part of what I was looking for.

Would be easiest to know characters limits, not just on when you view them, but how the attribute slicer pulls/searches for data in any given field.   

@New2PowerBI

Could you please share sample data of the longer ones for me to reproduce? It is appreciated that if you can post screenshot about your scenario.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I can't share all that I have; I can tell you that one value is 1,840 characters in length, with all spaces, and 45 lines of text.  Is there a limit of just how much data can be joined and/or how much data is displayed in visuals?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.