Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

APodmoskovnov

Data Labels

Hi, all

The problem is, every time I try to build combined column and line chart, I've got this mess with data labels. The system doesn't allow me to hide trend labels, leaving column ones only, though this option is available in simple line charts.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks is advance.

data labels.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi

In latest version of Power BI Version: 2.36.4434.381 64-bit (June 2016), a new option for line data labels has been introduced with name Label Density. This way you can reduce the number of occurances of data label printing and will be help out in your case.

refer to below image

label density.png

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
powerbiservices
Regular Visitor

Hi Microsoft, this is a very basic end-user feature.

Currently, the hability to change the data label density its only available for pure line charts. If we are using a combo chart this option is not available. We need the option for managing the labels per each data field - eaither column or line - having the possibility to change colours, sizes, hide/show independently.

Please add this basic design feature in the May 2018 release.

Thanks

brickhouse3539
Frequent Visitor

The ability to hide line data values is still not an option?  I'm using it as a dynamic target that changes as different items are reviewed and I have a clutter of redundant values on a straight line.

I have the exact same problem.  Come on Microsoft!

brickhouse3539
Frequent Visitor

I need the option to hide the line values and only show the column values too.  The line value is only a straight line anyway since it's a target but needs to remain dynamic since I can change the item being reviewed thus the target changes.  It would be nice to be able to hide the line values that are all the same just causing clutter and redundancy.

Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

Well, you don't have a ton of options, but you do have a few.  One recommendation would be to put each expression on its' own axis, creating a dual axis chart.  Then, you can create a custom scale where you could make it disparate enough to have some offset between the line and bars.  Settings might look like the pic below, with the "Show s..." is actually "Show Secondary Axis".

Dual Axis.JPG

Maybe you could share with us what the chart is being used for, and then we could suggest some alternative design ideas.

Nate

Thanks for your reply.

I followed the instructions given here 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-combo-chart-merge-visuali...

But there's still a bunch of issues...

1) Both data sets in my chart contain percentage values, I guess that's why BI doesn't add the second axis.

2) Moreover, even if I drag another type of data (e.g. volume of sales) to the Line Values Bucket, BI shows the secondary axis, but doesn't suggest possibilities to adjust it. I am only able to show or hide both axes simultaneously and adjust the scale of the left (percentage) axis.

Probably BI version issues? (I don't attach screenshot since I work with Russian interface)

My goal is to create weekly chart with the company's market share in columns and moving average in the line above.

One of the things I have to keep reminding myself is that Power BI is still very new, when compared to other tools.  With that, it doesn't always have what we want.  Have you looked at all at the Custom Visualization (Link).  There are quite a few new and different visuals that might better meet your needs.

Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi

In latest version of Power BI Version: 2.36.4434.381 64-bit (June 2016), a new option for line data labels has been introduced with name Label Density. This way you can reduce the number of occurances of data label printing and will be help out in your case.

refer to below image

label density.png

Hey Habib, I don't have this propiety (Label Density), in my Power BI Desktop (current using 2.108.997.0 64-bit (August 2022)). 

Any other ideas on how to fix it? I'm having the same issue with a "Line and Stacked column" chart.

Thanks Habib, works a treat. +1

Hi Habib,

I updated my power bi desktop version today but i could not find the "Label Density " , can you please help ?

Thanks

Sajid Hussain

How can You Change Colors for Data Labels ,   Line & Custom Colored chart shows 2 different data lables how can i have different colors for data lables ????

Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Color option is avaiable under "Data Labels" option in latest version of Power BI.

shalini
Frequent Visitor

The "data Lables" show just one color option for the entire chart (say if the chart is a combo chart with line and bar graphs), is there a way to change the lables into different colors according to the different line and bar graph on a perticular chart ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.