Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

brendaivett
Advocate II
Advocate II

Data Labels on Maps

Hi,

Is it possible to have labels of the data on the maps, other than the tooltips? I'd like the labels to show all of them at the same time, same way as, let's say, when I set up the State labels.

Because if I use tooltips, I can only see them if I hover over the map.

Thanks in advance!

Brenda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@brendaivett the only way I can think of to do this would be to have some Lat and Long coordinates for each State

You can pick any in each state that plot well on the map you'll be using - see picture

(you may do this in a separate table so you only do it once for each state)

Then create your State Count COLUMN to use in the Location field

State Count COLUMN = 'Table'[State]&" - "&CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Count]), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[State]))

2016-10-18 - MAP Lables.png

You can look at this post but I don't think it can be applied in your case

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-display-university-name-on-map/m-p/50188/highlight/tr...

I was so looking forward to the ArcGIS Maps but we have even less flexibility there - for now.

I hope they add labels and tooltips soon.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I need help on something similar.  I don't need any bubbles or shading on a map, but I would like to represent a numeric value in the center of each county.  How do I populate a map with those value labels and at the same time not show any bubble or coloring on the map?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I need help on something similar.  I don't need any bubbles or shading on a map, but I would like to represent a numeric value in the center of each county.  How do I populate a map with those value labels and at the same time not show any bubble or coloring on the map?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @brendaivett currently only what's in the Location field of a Map can be diplayed at all times!

And unfortunately only a Column can be placed there!

You can concatenate several Columns into 1 field which you can then easily display at all times by placing in the Location field!

So it really depends on what you have in the tooltips?

You may have to convert some Measures into Columns which may or may not be feasible in your case.

Can you give some more details of what you have in mind or some sample data and the expected result.

Also anyone else reading this post - please Vote for either one of these Ideas I've created for MAPs

1) Display another visualization in the Map Labels & Show/Hide Buttons

2) Aerial (Satellite Photo) MAP Background

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sean, how do you make what is displayed on the location field show up on the map as a label? I just have the dots, but would like to have the location field text also displayed...

No labelsNo labelsDesiredDesired

Curious as well! 🙂

Hi @Sean,

I have a list similar to the following:

State --- Count

TX --- 10000

CA --- 5000

AK --- 250

OR --- 100

So in Power BI Desktop I convert the State column to the State or Province type, and then include the count in the value for the map, and that way it positions according to the State, but to see the values, I only see them in the tooltips.

If I concatenate State and Count, it won't take the location, if I set Legend with the concatenated field, it gives a different color to each State and I don't want that either, I want the coloration to go by the numerical values and I'm doing that with the Data Colors.  And I want the Data Labels to be the numbers of the counts, I want them to show the same way as the state labels are showing in the attached image.

Thanks in advance!

Map.JPG

Brenda

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@brendaivett the only way I can think of to do this would be to have some Lat and Long coordinates for each State

You can pick any in each state that plot well on the map you'll be using - see picture

(you may do this in a separate table so you only do it once for each state)

Then create your State Count COLUMN to use in the Location field

State Count COLUMN = 'Table'[State]&" - "&CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Count]), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[State]))

2016-10-18 - MAP Lables.png

You can look at this post but I don't think it can be applied in your case

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-display-university-name-on-map/m-p/50188/highlight/tr...

I was so looking forward to the ArcGIS Maps but we have even less flexibility there - for now.

I hope they add labels and tooltips soon.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

gfellay
Frequent Visitor

Hi,excellent solution, but i have a problem. How can I make the count consider the slicers that the report has?
Thank you very much!

This only works in certain scenarios but more often than not, I am unable to use the average of lat long because each bubble/point is unique and there are multiple points in the same area/state.

Microsoft should just add a way to select whichever field you want in the "Category labels", can't believe they still don't.

Thank you so much Sean! Your solution worked. Would you mind sharing your list of latitudes and longitudes?

I greatly appreciate your help!

Brenda

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.