Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rylee
Helper I
Helper I

Data Labels Display Units

I have a bar chart with data labels. When I set the display units to Auto, the chart just gives the numbers as one long string with no commas, no M, no K, no formatting. I have a slicer that when a different selection is made, can change the chart from single digits, to thousands, to millions.

Any suggesstions on how I can format this so the data label updates with the number shown in the chart?

4 REPLIES 4
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @Rylee,

I would look at your data types. Below, the column "Net Worth" is a Fixed Decimal Number which usually is currency. The Column "Net Worth Number" is selected and you can see the Data Type is Decimal Number and I have selected the Thousands Seperator under the Modeling tab.

bi10.PNG

Hope this helps,

Alan

Thanks for the response, but here is an image of my issue. I have my labels set to "auto" assuming it will show up as 25.91k or 25,914 for thousands and change when the number is in the millions or billions, but the "auto" option is instead leaving the units unformatted.

Bar chart issue.JPGBar chart label.JPG

Hey @Rylee,

I understand the issue, but I am just unable to replicate it. I think it is how your data is formatted. The column you are using in the "Values" section of the bar chart, is it a calculated column or a measure? And what is the Data Type of that column/measure (Whole Number, Decimal, Fixed Decimal, etc.)?

Best,

Alan

@Rylee,

I was able to replicate your problem. Looks like you might have found a bug in the visual. It worked fine when using the "Column Chart", but if you use either the Stacked or Clustered "Bar Chart", then the K/M won't show up. I was able to get a thousands seperator to work for the bar chart. See below (Added a bunch of columns with different data types to make sure it wasn't just one date type messing up):

bi11.PNG 

Cheers,

Alan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.