Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Label - Series Name instead of Value

Hey guys,

could you please help me with the following Issue: Instead of the Value I want to put the Series Name on the Chart. It is possible to do in Excel, so I'm really wondering where it is hidden in Power BI.

See the Screenshot from Excel and Power BI attached.

Thank you in advance!

AdamSeries_Name_Excel.JPGSeries_Name_Power_BI.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you mean the legend? Is that necessary? There are many tips.

Data_Label_Series_Name_instead_of_Value

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Clinical_Epi
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi there,

Thought I'd update this with the latest solution if you will - I use Power Bi Report Server Jan 2022 version - on premises, but it has most features the latest desktop PBi has, so:

For some visuals, like line charts you can add the "series label" in the 'format' editing bar - however - you may very well encounter a well known issue a lot of us find where the first value you enter always shows up at the bottom of the chart, no matter if its filtered or not, which is very frustrating and there are few work arounds (covering with a blank shape for example....= not good!!) - but the best work around until this gets fixed is of course my own.

For anyone here looking for a solution to that issue I have an example of the problem (data, measures and screenshot of issue) and my solution:

Re: Serial label error in line chart - Microsoft Power BI Community

Kind regards and good luck 🙂

Clin Epi

Clinical_Epi
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi, the series label is a really handy feature to have in PBi as a legend is static - the series label however moves up/down on either side = with the line it is a label for. This is very handy as allows easy interpretation of the line, and the highest value for the value and the period/group.

However there is an issue where the first measure will always show its Series label.... so say you have 10 lines in your line chart, and can filter any lines out, 5 for example, the first measure that was put in "Values" for the line chart will always show no matter what you do, putting it in secondary values makes no difference - this is shown in detail here if anyone cares to try and resolve it?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Error-in-Series-label-in-line-graph/m-p/2496344

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you mean the legend? Is that necessary? There are many tips.

Data_Label_Series_Name_instead_of_Value

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.