Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Suremajaji
Frequent Visitor

Data Label Placement on bar chart

Hi, I have a dashboard with 2 bar charts, and the X-axis turned off. One chart has the data labels outside the bar, located at the end of each bar, while the other displays them within the bars. How can I format placement of the data labels? I don't see a menu option to do this. I know it has to be there since my charts have 2 different placements.

3 REPLIES 3
Suremajaji
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your responses.  I understand now how it works and why I couldn't find the options I was looking for.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Suremajaji,

In the bar chart, data labels display on the top of each bar automatically if there are sufficient space between the top of the bar and chart border. Otherwise, data labels will display inside of bars. Currently, there is no OOTB features for us to set position of data labels based on our preference.

In your scenario, please make sure the End value in the X axis is Auto. So that data labels will display on the top of bars.

q5.PNG

For this issue, you can also submit a idea in Power BI Ideas forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Suremajaji PowerBI desktop determines itself best suitable position for the placement of data labels based on the size of text and display unit you choose. You have option to determien size and display unit but not where data labels will be placed. If you choose Funnel visualization type you have option to set position but not for Clustered Bar Chart.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.