Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nexter
Advocate III
Advocate III

Data Label Number Format Only Shows One Type?

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could explain the logic in the below screenshot to me.  In Power BI, data labels seem to only have the ability to display one type of number format.  i.e. if there are numbers in the millions, and numbers in the thousands, data labels can only show either M or K, not both (even when set to auto).

I searched high and low for a fix/workaround, but to no avail.  This led me to belive that perhaps there is a reason behind this that I simply don't understand.  Can anyone let me know what the rationale might be behind this, or perhaps if there is no rationale but rather MS just hasn't provided a solution for this?  Thanks!!!

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nexter,

This is a question of readability, on the visuals. As a best practice the labels for the same data should be formatted in the same way otherwise the users will get issues in reading the data.

In Excel you can set point by point the data labels but in PBI this is formatted by group of data and  not single point.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nexter,

This is a question of readability, on the visuals. As a best practice the labels for the same data should be formatted in the same way otherwise the users will get issues in reading the data.

In Excel you can set point by point the data labels but in PBI this is formatted by group of data and  not single point.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks @MFelix

I can see how that makes sense. 

It's just frustrating though that you don't even have the option.  I see both choices as having their drawbacks; mixing the formats could potentially lead to a little confusion, but forcing my end users to think about what .14M and .07M translates to also adds a few seconds of extra comprehension (though obviously for most people those mental calculations will be instantaneous but still...).

Also,  .07M doesn't give as much information as if it were to read 71.2K

Arghhh!

Hi @Nexter,

Why don't you add more decimals to the value. you would get 0,712M not sure if it helps.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.