Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Import Performance is very slow in Power BI Desktop

Hi, 

I have a custom SQL Query in Oracle that i am importing in Power BI Desktop.

It has 8.9 Million Rows. It took roughly 18mins to extract in Tableau but took roughly 2.5hrs in Power BI.

Even for small data set, importing data is very slow.

I have read performance tuning article for Power BI (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance),

but this are just rules and protocols to follow.

And wonder that Power BI behaves very slow when importing Millions of records.

Have anyone faced this issue and know any limitation or recommendation?

8 REPLIES 8
ForgotID
Helper I
Helper I

I have the same problem. If Tableau can import the files in 18 min then there is definitely some issue with the Power BI architechture.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Same issue here as well.

I have 4 excel files to combine and each file only have about 100K rows, although each file is about 30MB (there are other worksheets). Only 1 worksheet is used and I have removed the unnecessary columns before loading but each query editing/refreshing could take up to hours... Any recommendations to speed it up?

Or does anyone know how I can just import the worksheet 1 time from the data source and temporarily disable the "re-import" so I could try to transform the data without repeatedly waiting for the re-loading... 

Thanks.

Guilher_Moura19
Frequent Visitor

Same question here.

I have only 800K row to load and it's took 1hr. When i use Excel it's turn into 15min in max.

Any updates about this?

Best regards!

kritchensBMcD
Advocate I
Advocate I

i'm also having this issue with very slow when the rows are large from oracle. 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

Before you load the data from Oracle into power bi desktop, You'd better shape the data set in Edit Queries,

for example:

14.JPG

You could remove the useless columns, filter data, etc.  

These actions could reduce the size of the dataset and improve the performance of import data

You could also use DirectQuery instead of Import.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I always do this Edit steps, but not helpful much. I use Excel to retrieve same data it tooks much shorter time as compared to Power BI, not to mentione for Power BI, there is additional time required for Save&Apply step also.

We have the same problem and I cannot find anywhere that PowerBI has addressed this problem. DirectQuery is not an option for the users that will be creating some reports as their Oracle SQL skills are not that great. Excel connects and brings the data in quickly. do the PowerBI and Office XLS teams actually communicate and work together to solve this issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I've the same problem, I have almost 3M rows and it's so slow. 

If you have find a solution, do not hesitate to share, i'm really curious ! 

Have a nice day, 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.