Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andymc123
Advocate III
Advocate III

Data Filter not in order of month number

I have looked at a few other posts trying to determine why my filter is not ordering by Month Number.  I have a column in the same table that contains month numbers, and I even tried adding a new table with only 2 columns, [months] and [month numbers], but the order of my filter list is still Alphabetical.  Could it be due to the fact that I have 2 years in the mix...2017 and 2018? I am simply trying to display the number of events in 2017 and compare with 2018.  Ideally there would also be a filter so that users can choose a month or group of months, and I guess I could it would just be better if that list of months was in month number order, not alphabetical order.  Ideas?  I have a snip below.

MonthNumberNotSorting.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try first selecting your "Month Name" column, then go to your modeling tab and sort by "Month Number". Your screenshot shows that Month Number is sorted by itself, but not that Month Name is sorted by the Month Number.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@andymc123,

You can sort your month name by your month number, that way it will start from Jan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try first selecting your "Month Name" column, then go to your modeling tab and sort by "Month Number". Your screenshot shows that Month Number is sorted by itself, but not that Month Name is sorted by the Month Number.

Believe it or not...as old as this post is...this helped me in figuring out to how sort by the Month Number.

A very late, late thank you!

Thanks Sonny!  I feel stupid, and glad it was an easy fix Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.