Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Snider
Regular Visitor

Data Exceeds Limit when Exporting

What is actually happening to the data when I am exporting and a warning pop up comes up telling me the data is too large and sampling may occur?

Is there a quick and easy way to determine if sampling is actually occuring?  Also, is there an upgrade that will give me access to export more data?

2018-01-08_9-11-51.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Snider,

Please check at below link which told about limitations of export data feature:

Export data from visualizations

Limitations and considerations

• The maximum number of rows that can be exported from Power BI Desktop and Power BI service to .csv is 30,000.
  • The maximum number of rows that can be exported to .xlsx when in the Power BI service is 150,000 for Pro users and 30,000 for Free users.
  • When using DirectQuery, the maximum amount of data that can be exported is 16 MB. This may result in exporting less than the maximum number of rows, especially if there are many columns, data that is difficult to compress, and other factors that increase file size and decrease number of rows exported.
  • Power BI only supports export in visuals that use basic aggregates. Export is not available for visuals using model or report measures.
  • Custom visuals, and R visuals, are not currently supported.
  • Export data is not available for users outside of your organization who are using a dashboard that has been shared with them.
  • If there is unicode character in the .csv file, the text in Excel may not display properly. Although, opening it in Notepad will work fine. Examples of unicode characters are currency symbols and foreign words. The workaround for this is to import the csv into Excel, instead of opening the csv directly. To do this:

1. Open Excel
    2. From the Data tab, select Get external data > From text.
  • Power BI admins have the ability to disable the export of data.

Update:
Did you use the previous version of power?
If this is a case, dec version has an issue on export data which has been fixed recently. I'd like to suggest you use newest version and try again.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CemK

Select "Data" mode on the left bar.

Select the table you want to export.

Select the 3 dots (More options) on the right side of your table name

Select option "Copy Table"

Paste Table on .xlsx

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Snider,

Please check at below link which told about limitations of export data feature:

Export data from visualizations

Limitations and considerations

• The maximum number of rows that can be exported from Power BI Desktop and Power BI service to .csv is 30,000.
  • The maximum number of rows that can be exported to .xlsx when in the Power BI service is 150,000 for Pro users and 30,000 for Free users.
  • When using DirectQuery, the maximum amount of data that can be exported is 16 MB. This may result in exporting less than the maximum number of rows, especially if there are many columns, data that is difficult to compress, and other factors that increase file size and decrease number of rows exported.
  • Power BI only supports export in visuals that use basic aggregates. Export is not available for visuals using model or report measures.
  • Custom visuals, and R visuals, are not currently supported.
  • Export data is not available for users outside of your organization who are using a dashboard that has been shared with them.
  • If there is unicode character in the .csv file, the text in Excel may not display properly. Although, opening it in Notepad will work fine. Examples of unicode characters are currency symbols and foreign words. The workaround for this is to import the csv into Excel, instead of opening the csv directly. To do this:

1. Open Excel
    2. From the Data tab, select Get external data > From text.
  • Power BI admins have the ability to disable the export of data.

Update:
Did you use the previous version of power?
If this is a case, dec version has an issue on export data which has been fixed recently. I'd like to suggest you use newest version and try again.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thats a major turn off.

Its completely limiting the usability.

Tableau doesnt have such a restriction.

This needs to be changed.

This is horrible and arbitrary.

And you don't even find out about it until you hit the limit.

Downsampling is not an option.

Had I know this I would have pursued a completely different path.

What a day ruining limitation.

Does Microsoft have any plans on extending the export limits beyond 150K records?

This limitation is causing many issues for our clients, who would like to continue their analysis outside of Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm encountering the same.   I Googled and found that this is a real constraint in PBI, something that Microsoft would probably fix if enough of us complain and make a lot of noise about it.

I agree.

This is a horrible, arbitrary limitation.

Completely unexpected.

If I had known about it I would have pursued a different route.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.