Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drallam
Helper II
Helper II

Data Download from Website

Hi,

I usually run a report on a website and download that as a excel file. I can see the table in the webpage. How do i connect that website to Power BI. I tried copying in the URL but doens't work. I'm I missing any steps?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
TylerKolota

If you have Power Automate Desktop and access to a spare computer or virtual machine, then you could try the set-up I explain here:

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@drallam wrote:

Hi,

I usually run a report on a website and download that as a excel file. I can see the table in the webpage. How do i connect that website to Power BI. I tried copying in the URL but doens't work. I'm I missing any steps?

Thanks

@drallam

My guess is that probably you can't simply get the data from the "table" via the "get data"->"other"->"web" with the report site url. Two questions,

1. Is there any authentication when login the report site before running the report?
  2. What is  the underlying request when clicking on "run the report"? You could probably get data from the actually request url(In Chrome, press F12 to enter developer console, select network tab and then click "run the report" button) instead of the report page.
    Capture.PNG

Hi Eric,

1. Yes there is an authentication to access the data before running the report.
  2. The idea is to exprot that data to an excel file after running the report. And I load that to power BI. I was wondering if there a way to directly pull that data.  Or what would be  the ideal workflow to do it would be the greater question.

@drallam wrote:

Hi Eric,

1. Yes there is an authentication to access the data before running the report.
  2. The idea is to exprot that data to an excel file after running the report. And I load that to power BI. I was wondering if there a way to directly pull that data.  Or what would be  the ideal workflow to do it would be the greater question.

@drallam

I'd say it depends on your report app. If you can get the correlated API loading data, you may call that API directly to get data in Power BI.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try entering the URL into a Web query and using the visualize page option to select the table?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Where do i see that option.

Get data | Web. After you enter the URL you should get a dialog with the Document and any tables listed. You can then click on the "Web View" tab at the top to see the web page and it should highlight the tables and allow you to checkmark the ones that you want to import.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @drallam

Try ....

1. Obtain Data
2. Web

Insert the url there

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.