Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adhishvellore
Regular Visitor

Data Conversion

Hi all,

I have a problem with data conversion. For example i want to translate the data from PBI Data Set (cannot edit as owned by someone else) - so transform data option doesn't work, but i am assuming there should be a way using DAX code (which i am not familiar with).

The table is as below: Simply put the power bi data set shows data in codes which not everyone is familiar with. So, i need to have a way to translate that into different names as below. Anyone please can guide me. I do not want to have any changes to the main data....much appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Area CodeArea Name
A1India Subcontinent
B1North Asia
C1Mainland China
D1South Asia
3 REPLIES 3
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @adhishvellore 

The connectivity mode for Power BI dataset is live connection. No data is imported into the Power BI store. Instead, upon building a visual within Power BI Desktop, queries are sent to the underlying data source to retrieve the necessary data.

For further information, please refer to the following documents.

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@adhishvellore , If the dataset is power bi, you are not allowed to create a new column. So you can create a measure but that you can not use in the filter

measure =

Switch(True() ,

[Area code] = "A", "India Subcontinent',

//add other

)

@amitchandak . Thanks for your prompt reply. If i cannot display the translated value as a filter, then i guess not worth doing it 🙂. But i tried the given code and it's not even allowing me to select "Area Code" from the data set. Do you know why?

Cheers

Adhish

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.