Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Spartan83611

Data Colors option not showing in Shape Maps

I'm experiencing an odd issue here when attempting to use shape maps.

As can be show in the screenshot below, the option is available in the sample provided with the tutorial :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-shape-map

Spartan83611_1-1632167825253.png

But does not show here in this custom sample I tried building :

Spartan83611_0-1632167706190.png

If someone has any idea on how to resolve this I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
halfglassdarkly
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

If you want your provinces coloured individually and displayed in the legend (PBI will pick colours based on your theme options and you can change each one if you want under 'Data colors') then make sure you have your legend field populated with the territory and a value field of some kind in the 'Color saturation'. As far as I can tell it will pick up the colours from your legend anyway so the actual value doesn't matter other than that it will appear in your tooltips when hovering over the map. You could just use count of province, or use something meaningful for the tooltip like population.

halfglassdarkly_1-1632186407462.png

halfglassdarkly_2-1632186752635.png

If you want the map to colour each province based on a numeric scale like in the tutorial pictures then you can do that by populating the Color saturation field with a meaningful value but removing your legend. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to display a legend when using a colour scale, but you could add the province name as a tooltip.

halfglassdarkly_6-1632187020457.png

halfglassdarkly_5-1632186927553.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
halfglassdarkly
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

If you want your provinces coloured individually and displayed in the legend (PBI will pick colours based on your theme options and you can change each one if you want under 'Data colors') then make sure you have your legend field populated with the territory and a value field of some kind in the 'Color saturation'. As far as I can tell it will pick up the colours from your legend anyway so the actual value doesn't matter other than that it will appear in your tooltips when hovering over the map. You could just use count of province, or use something meaningful for the tooltip like population.

halfglassdarkly_1-1632186407462.png

halfglassdarkly_2-1632186752635.png

If you want the map to colour each province based on a numeric scale like in the tutorial pictures then you can do that by populating the Color saturation field with a meaningful value but removing your legend. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to display a legend when using a colour scale, but you could add the province name as a tooltip.

halfglassdarkly_6-1632187020457.png

halfglassdarkly_5-1632186927553.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors