Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jay2077
Helper III
Helper III

Data Colors in Scatter Chart

Hi all,

I was wondering what the minimum, Center and Maximim refer to in the color saturation options on the scatter chart. 

Basically I want any values below 40 to be red between 40 - 69 to be amber and 70 and upwards to be green.

How do I achieve this it won't seem to let you put < or > signs.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jay2077,

The bubble will be filled with gradual color based on the field added to color saturation option.  Take below sample data as an example. We can see that the max value of field [Color] is 0.8, so, it corresponding category "Janet" is shown with highest saturation. Please note as the field added to color saturation section, it will be sum up automatically, in order to keep its original value, here, we select "Average".

2.PNG

4.PNG

To workaround your requirement that set bubble color based on its value, we could create a new category group. As you can see, in my test, the sales value was sum up based on category.

5.PNG

So, I added a calculated column as below: (please modify the CALCULATION section according to your scenario)

Color group =
IF (
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Sales of team'[Sales] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Sales of team', 'Sales of team'[Name] )
    )
        <= 20,
    "Color1",
    IF (
        CALCULATE (
        )
            > 40,
        "Color2",
        "Color3"
    )
)

6.PNG

In Scatter Chart, add this new group [Color group] to legend. Under "Format" pane, you can customize the data color based on new category.

7.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Jay2077,

In my test, the data poins show the same color in service as that in desktop. In your scenario, please log in service using a different browser to see whether is works. Besides, please test whether issue persists if setting data points to different colors.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jay2077,

The bubble will be filled with gradual color based on the field added to color saturation option.  Take below sample data as an example. We can see that the max value of field [Color] is 0.8, so, it corresponding category "Janet" is shown with highest saturation. Please note as the field added to color saturation section, it will be sum up automatically, in order to keep its original value, here, we select "Average".

2.PNG

4.PNG

To workaround your requirement that set bubble color based on its value, we could create a new category group. As you can see, in my test, the sales value was sum up based on category.

5.PNG

So, I added a calculated column as below: (please modify the CALCULATION section according to your scenario)

Color group =
IF (
    CALCULATE (
    )
        <= 20,
    "Color1",
    IF (
        CALCULATE (
        )
            > 40,
        "Color2",
        "Color3"
    )
)

6.PNG

In Scatter Chart, add this new group [Color group] to legend. Under "Format" pane, you can customize the data color based on new category.

7.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi v-yulgu-msft

I followed your instructions and they work great on my desktop version, however when I publish my report/dashboard the data points are various colours and not the red, orange and green that I specified with the categories (through the if statements) and as they appear on the desktop.

Why is this ?  How do I resolve this please?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @Jay2077,

In my test, the data poins show the same color in service as that in desktop. In your scenario, please log in service using a different browser to see whether is works. Besides, please test whether issue persists if setting data points to different colors.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Many thanks for your help however, there is no legend option in my format pane.

Ignore my last comment I found the legend option, however now when I publish my report I cannot see the colours in the scatter (red, amber green) as I specified, instead the data points show all multi coloured. 

Do you know why this is ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.