cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trashmap Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Data Category 'Place' not displaying on map

Hello,

I'm plotting Universities on a map in PowerBI desktop (text strings like 'University of Nottingham' or 'Edinburgh Napier'). This works fine on desktop with Data Category = 'Uncategorized'. Unfortunately I found that these points don't display when I publish the file to app.powerbi.com.

According to thread https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-not-displaying-data-points/td-p/528864, the solution is to change Data Category to 'Place'. However, when I do this the points don't display at all, either on desktop or app.powerbi.com. 

Is there some other way to plot this data or get the data types to play nicely between desktop and app.powerbi.com?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Data Category 'Place' not displaying on map

Hi @trashmap 

In Power BI Desktop, cilck on the column, then select "Data category", you can change it to "place".

If your column shows names of University, please add a column with the city where the University located in.

You could take the suggestion from this thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-display-university-name-on-map/td-p/50188

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

trashmap Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Category 'Place' not displaying on map

Thanks for your response @v-juanli-msft .

When I change the data category of the 'University Name' column to 'Place' the geocoding stops working (the data stops plotting on the map).

Yes, I could manually geocode all these universities and then use those locations for my map, but this would be quite a large extra process. Is there no way to use the geocoding in PowerBI that works when the data is uncategorised?  It seems bizarre to me that PowerBI is clearly capable of plotting Universities by their name, but won't do so when the data category is changed to 'Place'.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 283 members 2,981 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: