Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chapin4u
Employee
Employee

Data Cache Management Options

Hi, I'm working with a large MS SQL view - 40 million records. It takes 4 minutes to update it in PBI. Need to know how much MB can I increase in the Data Cache Management Options can I increase the MB, currently using the minimum allowed default number of 4096 and currently use 469.

Need to understand the use of the cache mgmt options. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Chapin4u

The Cache Memory options is what it caches when you are using Power BI in the Query Editor. So it caches the data to a point (normally first 100 rows) so that it does not have to pull down all the data when still in the Query Editor.

So if you are looking to increase the speed at which it imports the data, I would say that currently it is pretty quick with 10 million rows/min.

If you are looking to make it faster, the only things that come to mind is to ensure that your connectivity is as fast as possible. Also the more "Applied Steps" you have in your tables in the Query Editor can also slow down the import process. As well as ensure (which it appears it is doing) to ensure that the View is as optimal as possible from your SQL View.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Chapin4u

The Cache Memory options is what it caches when you are using Power BI in the Query Editor. So it caches the data to a point (normally first 100 rows) so that it does not have to pull down all the data when still in the Query Editor.

So if you are looking to increase the speed at which it imports the data, I would say that currently it is pretty quick with 10 million rows/min.

If you are looking to make it faster, the only things that come to mind is to ensure that your connectivity is as fast as possible. Also the more "Applied Steps" you have in your tables in the Query Editor can also slow down the import process. As well as ensure (which it appears it is doing) to ensure that the View is as optimal as possible from your SQL View.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for clarifying my question.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.