Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

psikonetik
Helper I
Helper I

Data Blending in Power BI

Hi,

Is there a way to do data Blending in power BI in a similar way Tableau does? Lest say I have one table with multiple rows for each date and another one with the same situation. I want to put data from the tables in the same graph and I want the data to have dates on the x asis.

In tableau I would just do data blending with date and the graph will have the data from both tables grouped by date.

However to do this in Power BI I would need to create an auxiliary table with unique date values and relation that table with both tables as joinning in power bi always need on of the tables to have unique values.

This is really time and performance consuming and also adds a lot of complexity creating the tables so I was wondering if there is another way to do this.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I would also suggest the approach that Phil proposes: merging the tables with Power Query it's an "Append" operation likely pretty much the same as Tableau does it. I don't see why values would be duplicated? I assume if you have values for the same dates and attributes in the different tables they need to be aggregated in some way?

Martin

Take you Power BI project to the next level --> http://Powerbiexperts.com.au

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
psikonetik
Helper I
Helper I

Hi!

If I do what Phil says I will end having a table with duplicated values in the columns right? I dont want that.

What Imkef says is the approach I stated in my first message. It would be ok if the complexity wouldn't be so high. Apart form making the join there is the point of generating this aux table.

In this case is worse as the dates are updated each day so you would need to create a table from a complex formula so that you always have new days and so on. Not e avery quick/easy approach.

Thanks,

Hi,

I would also suggest the approach that Phil proposes: merging the tables with Power Query it's an "Append" operation likely pretty much the same as Tableau does it. I don't see why values would be duplicated? I assume if you have values for the same dates and attributes in the different tables they need to be aggregated in some way?

Martin

Take you Power BI project to the next level --> http://Powerbiexperts.com.au

This solved the issue!

Merging the tables created duplicates, however after changing the names of the columns in the tables so that they match in all the columns but the ones that I want to graph, and using append solved perfectly the issue.

Thanks!

If my understanding is correct, if involves some steps, so I made a comfortable function for it here: http://wp.me/p6lgsG-sN

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

If my understanding is correct, PowerBI uses a different concept for this requirement:

If you want to show data from 2 different (fact) tables on one chart with a joint attribute on the x-axis, you make sure that the field for the x-axis comes from a joint table.

In this case: Have a calendar table in place which is connected to both of your fact tables and take the date-field from this table to your chart. Then you can use value fields/measures from both tables on the same chart.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

You can Merge the tables together using the query editor to create single table which you can then plot. Do your days contain hours/minutes or are they just days?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.