Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dashboards and updating of Desktop designed boards

Hi there,

So I am not sure I am understanding this as well as I thought.  I designed some reports using desktop and uploaded them to power BI.  I then pinned some of the elements to a dashboard and all was great.

I then needed to change the reports somewhat only small things like some filters etc.  I did this and updated it and the reports updated fine.  I have just noticed though that the dashboard did not.  Does this mean I have to rebuild the dashboard every time I update the reports?  Or is there an easier way to keep these in sync?

3 REPLIES 3

@trevb This is a one way street currently. Once you publish the Desktop file it becomes a seperate entity (data set) in the Power BI Service. Essentially, you've just pushed your model to Azure. Any updates you do in the service are to the model in Azure, not your local copy in the Desktop.

If you want to keep things in sync (currently), your only option is to keep making changes in the desktop and republishing the file.

Not optimal, but I believe they are working on export capability (based on my last questions in a public PBI session)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978

My problem is that I am doing the updates in BI Desktop but when I do the update the reports on BI update but the dashboard data does not, it remains displaying the "old" data.  The only way I've found to get them to update is to remove all elements and then pin them back from the newly uploaded report. 

@trevb Correct. Since the dashboard only exists in the Service, tiles would need to be updated if you want them to reflect the new visuals. Definetely NOT ideal, but it is the state of things that we have to manage this via process. Hoping for new features to export or mitigate this in the future.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.