Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Joachimberg
Regular Visitor

Dashboard-like report set-up

I am trying to make a PowerBI report that functions a little bit like a dashboard.

In PowerBI desktop I have created a report that pulls data from three queries for the month of september to create various charts.

I have three similar queries for each month, october, november etc.

Is it possible to create a small window in the report that allows me to select a month and upon selection the report pulls data from that month's three queries to update the charts with the given month's data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Joachimberg ,

Firstly, you can add custom month column for every month queries in Query Editor. For example , click on October query, you can add custom column "10" like picture below.

80.png

Secondly, you can combine all month queries into one query using Append feature, see more details: Append vs. Merge in Power BI and Power Query.

Finally, you can put the combined month column into slicer visual to filter data.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Joachimberg ,

Firstly, you can add custom month column for every month queries in Query Editor. For example , click on October query, you can add custom column "10" like picture below.

80.png

Secondly, you can combine all month queries into one query using Append feature, see more details: Append vs. Merge in Power BI and Power Query.

Finally, you can put the combined month column into slicer visual to filter data.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

the best way to create what you are looking for is to create a single table of all your monthly data (assuming they all have the same structure).

This can be achieved by using the Append function, this is described here: https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Make sure that each table contains the information about the month.

Create a table that just contains the unique values of the months, build a 1:* many relationship between both tables, with the month table on the 1 side of the relationship.

Create slicer from the months table.

Now the report should work as you wish.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Alright.

So I have appended the three queries into one. To my knowledge about structure, I believe they do have the same structure.

Make sure that each table contains the information about the month.

-> I assume you just mean that I am certain that each of the appended queries belong to the correct month (so all three are correctly appended to fit one month).

Create a table that just contains the unique values of the months, build a 1:* many relationship between both tables, with the month table on the 1 side of the relationship.

-> When you say table, is that in query editor or is it in the report window?

Hi.

The instructions in your reply went from 0-100 way to fast for me.

I will need to look up instructions on how to do most of the steps you've listed.

But thank you nevertheless.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.