Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jason1979

Dashboard for SharePoint List 2013 (OnPremise)

Hello Folks,

Sorry if this is not the right forum, but looking at the forum option felt this group to be appropriate.

Requirement: Dashboard to show summation of data stored on multiple SPS2013 based lists.

We are planning to build Dashboard to show summation of data stored on SharePoint 2013 multiple Lists within a site. Later, save the site that contains the SPS 2013 List as a Site Template.
Therefore, its important for the Dashboard should appear on the homepage of every site showing charts and numeric data based on the data feeded in the SharePoint Lists.
Thus trying to find what are the best options in the market.

To my BING so far, here is my finding -

a) Power BI - Can work but not sure if it is a pure onpremise solution?

b) Can PowerBI retrieve data directly from SharePoint Lists, so the information stored is real time?

c) Can PowerBI shows the Dashboard and reporting data directly on a Sharepoint page?

Any information will be deeply appreicated.

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jason1979 I haven't connected to sharepoint list before but below is my understanding. Power bi has number of sharepoint connectors that you can make use of. I assume you have on-premise sharepoint list.

a) power bi is cloud based data visualisation tool. Therefore you use power bi desktop on premise to build your reports and publish to cloud to analyse data and share with others.

b) yes power bi can retrieve data from your on-premise sharepoint list however it won't be real time and you need to setup personal / enterprise gatway to enable schedule refresh of your reports / dashboards in cloud.

c) easiest way to embed power bi report into sharepoint is to make use of publish to web feature. once your report is published to power bi service then you can enable publish to web which will give you iFrame tab and you can use that iFrame in sharepoint. however it is worth noting that publish to web is in preview and so free and it makes your report available to anyone over the internet who has that iFrame link. You can also consider using power bi apis to embed report / dashboard tiles.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jason1979 I haven't connected to sharepoint list before but below is my understanding. Power bi has number of sharepoint connectors that you can make use of. I assume you have on-premise sharepoint list.

a) power bi is cloud based data visualisation tool. Therefore you use power bi desktop on premise to build your reports and publish to cloud to analyse data and share with others.

b) yes power bi can retrieve data from your on-premise sharepoint list however it won't be real time and you need to setup personal / enterprise gatway to enable schedule refresh of your reports / dashboards in cloud.

c) easiest way to embed power bi report into sharepoint is to make use of publish to web feature. once your report is published to power bi service then you can enable publish to web which will give you iFrame tab and you can use that iFrame in sharepoint. however it is worth noting that publish to web is in preview and so free and it makes your report available to anyone over the internet who has that iFrame link. You can also consider using power bi apis to embed report / dashboard tiles.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.