Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard filter vs report filter

Hi everyone.

I have a report I have been working on in PowerBI desktop. I added Page level filters (also tried report level with same results) for Year and Status. I then published this report to PowerBI.com. When published, the report shows the filters in the right hand side bar just fine. But the dashboard does not show these filters. How do I get filters to show up on the dashboard? 

The reason I ask is because I have a couple people who I share the dashboard. When they open the dashboard, they do not see an option to open a report - they only get the dashboard. This does not seem like a problem...except for the filtering thing.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Ok, yep this is frustrating.  You aren't able to use filters on the dashboard.  There are three options here ...

1. Pin your report to the dashboard using the "Pin Live Page" option and include a slicer on the report
  2. Teach your users how to drill through from the dashboard to the report
  3. Provide your users with the URL for the report instead of the dashboard - when they click they'll go straight to the report

2 & 3 are two versions of the same solution - "get your users to the report" - and even in these options it might be a good idea to include a slicer on the report instead of using the page level filter.  Let me know if this makes sense.

My guess is that eventually we will see filtering available at the dashboard level .. LINK TO POWER BI IDEAS

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Ok, yep this is frustrating.  You aren't able to use filters on the dashboard.  There are three options here ...

1. Pin your report to the dashboard using the "Pin Live Page" option and include a slicer on the report
  2. Teach your users how to drill through from the dashboard to the report
  3. Provide your users with the URL for the report instead of the dashboard - when they click they'll go straight to the report

2 & 3 are two versions of the same solution - "get your users to the report" - and even in these options it might be a good idea to include a slicer on the report instead of using the page level filter.  Let me know if this makes sense.

My guess is that eventually we will see filtering available at the dashboard level .. LINK TO POWER BI IDEAS

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Hi, @austinsense,

got the same idea to use the slicer, seems to work in single page report view, however,I cannot apply it through all pages of a report or pinned pages in a dashboard. How to establish a slicer which works on the whole dashboard?

Thanks, Atanas

Hello,

I am very new to Power BI and am now at the stage of sending out some reports.  I am not sure how to drill down from the Dashboard to the Report.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent

@BrentL - you simply click on the chart on the dashboard and it should take you to the report page that chart is located on. You must first pin your charts to a dashboard though. Hope that helps. 🙂

BrentL
Frequent Visitor

Thank you yeah I was looking to high on the dashboard for something. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.