cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Dashboard doesn't load

I have the same problem almost every single time I try to open my pbix files. They are very simple dashboards that use excel table residing on my computer or drive and a list from SharePoint. If I come back to work next day and try to continue working on the dashboard, it's almost guaranteed it won't load the data. The table and visuals keep loading indefinitely, and I get an error "Object not instantiated" or "Model cannot load". Sometimes I go to options and select my account to ensure I'm connected to SharePoint. But most times I have to create the dashboard from scratch if i want to get any work done. Usually things start working when I restart my computer. At times not only the old dashboards don't open but the entire Desktop app won't open - I get a message "Unable to start Power BI Desktop - We weren't able to connect to model". I am growing frustrated with Power BI.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Dashboard doesn't load

@Kinga99 what is your data source? Are you using Power BI service as a data source? When you refer to dashboard are you referring to dashboard in power bi service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Parry,

I only use SharePoint, cloud, and files from my local machine. Today, Power BI Desktop App wouldn't connect to either. And no, I didn't use Power BI Service.

I restarted my desktop the second time today, and it finally allowed me to load a table from my desktop. My old pbix opened as well without an issue (finally after 4 hours!). But why does it work after rebooting my computer? Is there an easier way?

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@Kinga99 seems like it is very local issue and related to your machine. it is possible to test it on another computer?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I'm a government contractor, and I log in using my gov credentials - could this affect anything? We are restricted on where we can use the aplications and data. I asked my IT dept for a new computer, and the same issue is occuring on a different machine.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Parry,

Do you think that this problem could be related to Cache? Why otherwise would it work after rebooting?

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Kinga99 ,

Maybe you can clear the permissions in Data source settings and try to test again.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

July 2020 Community Highlights

July 2020 Community Highlights

Learn about the exciting things that happened in July.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Power BI Desktop August 2020 Update

Power BI Desktop August 2020 Update

We have great updates this month! Click the link for the video with more info.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors