Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kinga99
Helper II
Helper II

Dashboard doesn't load

I have the same problem almost every single time I try to open my pbix files. They are very simple dashboards that use excel table residing on my computer or drive and a list from SharePoint. If I come back to work next day and try to continue working on the dashboard, it's almost guaranteed it won't load the data. The table and visuals keep loading indefinitely, and I get an error "Object not instantiated" or "Model cannot load". Sometimes I go to options and select my account to ensure I'm connected to SharePoint. But most times I have to create the dashboard from scratch if i want to get any work done. Usually things start working when I restart my computer. At times not only the old dashboards don't open but the entire Desktop app won't open - I get a message "Unable to start Power BI Desktop - We weren't able to connect to model". I am growing frustrated with Power BI.

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Kinga99 what is your data source? Are you using Power BI service as a data source? When you refer to dashboard are you referring to dashboard in power bi service?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi Parry,

I only use SharePoint, cloud, and files from my local machine. Today, Power BI Desktop App wouldn't connect to either. And no, I didn't use Power BI Service.

I restarted my desktop the second time today, and it finally allowed me to load a table from my desktop. My old pbix opened as well without an issue (finally after 4 hours!). But why does it work after rebooting my computer? Is there an easier way?

@Kinga99 seems like it is very local issue and related to your machine. it is possible to test it on another computer?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi Parry,

Do you think that this problem could be related to Cache? Why otherwise would it work after rebooting?

Hi @Kinga99 ,

Maybe you can clear the permissions in Data source settings and try to test again.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

I'm a government contractor, and I log in using my gov credentials - could this affect anything? We are restricted on where we can use the aplications and data. I asked my IT dept for a new computer, and the same issue is occuring on a different machine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.