cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecarlstrom Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Dashboard data obfuscation

While it's useful to share reports in healthcare a common issue that comes up is the content of the reports. If there is any Personal Health Information in a report (or in the details within the report) it is important to be able to obscure that information. Some companies who have built their own reporting solutions take care of this on their end. I was wondering if there was anything within PowerBI that would allow a report write to do this type of obfuscation so dashboards could be created with the possibility of violating HIPAA removed because any PHI would not be viewable in case someone shared the dashboard link with someone they shouldn't have. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-jiascu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Dashboard data obfuscation

Hi @ecarlstrom,

I think this should be done in the Power Query at the first place in Power BI. Remove columns, replace values or filter out records etc. You also can create an idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com. Maybe we can have it in the future.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to "blur" or obfuscate certain data in PowerBI dashboards?

While it's useful to share reports in healthcare a common issue that comes up is the content of the reports. If there is any Personal Health Information in a report (or in the details within the report) it is important to be able to obscure that information. Some companies who have built their own reporting solutions take care of this on their end. I was wondering if there was anything within PowerBI that would allow a report write to do this type of obfuscation so dashboards could be created with the possibility of violating HIPAA removed because any PHI would not be viewable in case someone shared the dashboard link with someone they shouldn't have. 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

you can use Row Level Security however this provides access to data or not. I generally advise that you should assume that anyone that can see a report can also see the underlying data. The exception I guess is if you give read only access and also disable Analyse in Excel. You would want to test it fully of course. 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
v-jiascu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @ecarlstrom,

I think this should be done in the Power Query at the first place in Power BI. Remove columns, replace values or filter out records etc. You also can create an idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com. Maybe we can have it in the future.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

@MattAllington wrote:

you can use Row Level Security however this provides access to data or not. I generally advise that you should assume that anyone that can see a report can also see the underlying data. The exception I guess is if you give read only access and also disable Analyse in Excel. You would want to test it fully of course. 

Unfortunately I don't think that would work. Being able to see the results of metrics etc would be the reason for the dashboard, but any underlying patient specific data (name, date of birth, etc) would need to be obfuscated. The other option mentioned by Dale sounds closer, but I'm definitely going to post something in the ideas. 

Erik

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 218 members 2,544 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: