Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisB13
Frequent Visitor

Dashboard Links create new tab based on template

Hello,

This may fall in the developer realm, but I was wondering if anyone has come across a way to create a new tab based on a link.  

Essentially here is the scope:

I have multiple CSV files (it will be approximately 300 sheets).   I need 1 of 2 solutions:

Solution 1: 

Create a Dashboard that includes a link to each of the CSV files (These will be Stock Symbol names).   Upon clicking them it will create a new tab that is based off a template, with calculations and conditional columns.   

Solution 2: 

Create a Dashboard and a FUNCTION that generates all CSV files into 1 merged file (data tab).   When I click the link of each of these symbols I get a filtered down data approach for each of them.

The best way I can explain is I have can have a system setup and download historical and current data into .CSV files onto a folder.   Each of these .CSV's will be named with the ticker symbol  (MSFT, GOOGL, etc...).   There will be 300 of these, so I am going ot need to create a function that autoloads each of the CSV's from my directory.  

It sounds like Solution 2 is the easiest scalable way to do this, Solution 1 I can see creating problems in teh Power BI service since we cant create tabs from there.  Unless theres an option to do that in the backend (Power BI desktop app).

Screenshot 1:   Basically will be a dashboard of summarized data from Ticker and Data tabs.
Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot 2:   This will simply be a list of ticker symbols, loaded from an Excel sheet that can be updated to add symbols.

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot 3:   This is the data tab, I will be using my stock software to download historical data and indicators to store all information into a CSV file, that will be constantly updated.   When you click a link in Screenshot 2, it brings you to this tab with the filter for that specific symbol.  Screenshot_3.png

Upon writing this I think the 2nd solution will be easier/more scalable and will be less of a performance hit.   I do want to explore option 1 though, as it still may be viable.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, maybe someone has already done something similar.   I think most importantly would be taking my 300 symbols (.CSV) files and combining them correctly.   I also built out an Excel version of this as well that is functioning

Power BI is a little stronger and quicker to handle this process. 

Thanks again

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @chrisB13 ,

#1, Did you means create a template report file and parametrized connection string with query parameter so that you can simply generate correspond report based on specific csv file?

#2, You can consider to use folder connect on to get these files, then keep file name with correspond tables then expand these tables. After these steps, you create a slicer based on table name field to achieve dynamic visual based on slicer.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft 

I actually did use a folder to generate the report, its not the most ideal situation here because theres nothing on my computer that would prevent other files (not required in the report) from getting into this folder.   I will have to restrict it otherwise.

I think I have something that will work now.  Open to other ideas, but still waiting on the full data so I can see what I have.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.