Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KM007
Helper II
Helper II

Daily share price table

Hi

I have a scraped a website and have a table listing funds and daily price. If I refresh this table the prices are replaced with current day prices. I would like to create a table listing funds and add daily prices to it, so the table will grow.

May I ask advice on how I can do this?

Much appreciated,

Kasey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's not so easy.

One approach is outlined in: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/11/incremental-load-in-powerbi-using-dax-union/

An alternative would be - if possible for you - to use Excel with Power Query:

First: create a query with output to a table in Excel with the initial data, let's call it FundsAndDailyPrices.

Next: adjust this query to get new data from the web, append it to FundsAndDailyPrices, remove duplicates and export the result back to table FundsAndDailyPrices.

This is a so called self referencing query, as (part of) the input is from the same table as the output (FundsAndDailyPrices).
It is not really self referencing, as the query doesn't reference itself, but the table in Excel, which are different objects,

Now you can use the Excel file as input for Power BI Desktop.

Notice that any data refreshes should be done both in Excel AND in Power BI Desktop (in this sequence).

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's not so easy.

One approach is outlined in: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/11/incremental-load-in-powerbi-using-dax-union/

An alternative would be - if possible for you - to use Excel with Power Query:

First: create a query with output to a table in Excel with the initial data, let's call it FundsAndDailyPrices.

Next: adjust this query to get new data from the web, append it to FundsAndDailyPrices, remove duplicates and export the result back to table FundsAndDailyPrices.

This is a so called self referencing query, as (part of) the input is from the same table as the output (FundsAndDailyPrices).
It is not really self referencing, as the query doesn't reference itself, but the table in Excel, which are different objects,

Now you can use the Excel file as input for Power BI Desktop.

Notice that any data refreshes should be done both in Excel AND in Power BI Desktop (in this sequence).

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

I didn't think it would be straight forward Man Sad

Thanks so much for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.